There’s no doubt that 2020 was an interesting year all around. Sales teams particularly suffered with most that I know missing targets month after month. It’s disheartening and many sales professionals lost motivation and energy.
So as a sales leader, what can we do to reset and restart fresh for this new year?
Here’s 5 things you can do to fire up your sales team in 2021.
The choice is yours:
1. Build positive RELATIONSHIPS with your team.
“If we learn to trust more, we can have unprecedented human progress.”
– Harvard Professor Frances Frei
Two reasons for this:
- Your staff perform better when they feel trusted and valued.
- The main reason people leave the company they work for is the relationship with their line manager, good people are hard to find, and it costs a fortune to replace them.
2. Give them clear DIRECTION.
“If you don’t know where you are going, how are you going to get there?”
– Yogi Berra
- Have a purpose, business plan and sales plan. Share with your team how it all fits together.
3. Get out from behind your desk and UNDERSTAND what they are facing.
“A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected.”
– Simon Sinek
- Get in the field, see how they operate, find out their challenges and work with them to devise solutions.
4. INVEST in your people – there are significant gains to be made by showing that you are willing to develop your team.
CFO says “What happens if we train them & they leave?”
CEO says “What happens if we don’t train them & they stay?”
5. Embarrassingly so, one of the best things I ever did to life the performance of my team was to relieve one of my NON-PERFORMERS.
“A bad apple can ruin a whole bunch.”
We know who they are and we know what we must do. Whilst no one likes dismissing people, if you don’t everyone loses – you lose credibility from your team, individuals lose their self-esteem and the company loses the respect of your customers.
As a sales leader the buck stops with you. How are you going to fire up your team this year?